Friday, August 14, 2009

Organic 2.0

Okay, I'm sure you're curious to know how the new Midkiff Health Initiative has been going. Or ... maybe you're not, but if you're reading this, that's what's coming!!!!

We are on week 4 of eating/cooking organic produce (fruits and veggies.) Every other week we go to the co-op and pick up our food. Last week included - 2 heads romaine lettuce, 1 head cabbage, 1 head kale, fresh green beans, sunburst squash, cucumbers, peaches, nectarines, cantaloupe, oranges, grapes, cherries, carrots, mangoes, tomatoes, purple onions ...hmm what else? That just about does it. It costs $50 every other week, and it's totally worth the investment. Besides just being totally pesticide free and local, farm grown, we are cooking a lot more and making healthier lunches and dinners. I made eggrolls and asian noodle salad last weekend and Doug said it was his favorite meal I've cooked yet. Win all around.

Besides that, I have given up adding splenda to anything, including coffee. I have gotten used to the taste now without it, and I like the less-sweet coffee taste.

I'm also limiting myself to one cup of coffee a day, and I've completely taken out diet coke.

The no-sugar thing proved to be almost impossible, since there's sugar in EVERYTHING, I have come to discover. BUT - I choose snacks more consciously now. Except at work we have these animal crackers that are so addicting, and every time I eat them I can just feel my glucose spiking...yikes. Sometimes knowledge isn't power, it just creates guilt. Anyway..

Since I don't like fish, I am adding flax seed to my breakfast each morning, it's nutty like granola and tastes great in yogurt. It's chock full of omega 3's - and it's what they feed fish to make them full of omega 3's, so in actuality you're going straight to the real source.

So...that's our update. I encourage you to take a look at what you're putting into your bodies as well, and arm yourself with knowledge! It is power!!!


Also, for a life update, Doug is starting grad school applications now. The three he's submitting are, Cal Berkeley, Duke, and UT Austin. I started reading a book about the San Francisco/Bay Area yesterday. I couldn't be more excited about adventures to come!


3 comments:

rob. said...

1. I just saw your little blog about Ben and I's wedding, and it made me so happy! You were fantastic!

2. I got this book for the honeymoon called "In Defense of Food," and it talks a great deal about all this stuff you've been blogging about. I just updated myself on your current food thoughts and I have been thinking the SAME THING. Crazy. The book talked about the fruit thing you guys are doing. We should check into that. I went to the Farmers Market last week, but it would be nice to have something to count on. Anywho.. very interesting stuff. I'm now reading "Food Politics" and so far it's more like a text book. Hoping it livens up a little. But all that to say GOOD STUFF.

Love your blogging. And love you so much! :)

rob. said...

One more thing.. I don't like fish, either! So I'll have to check into that flaxseed goodness. Thanks for the tip!

Morgan said...

We do something similar in our house - we're members of our local CSA (community supported agriculture - you should definitely look into it!) and have a box delivered to a local spot every other week with the FRESHEST fruits and veggies (at only $30/box!). And it lasts us two weeks :). Congrats on eating so healthy!