Sunday, November 25, 2007

Be Thou My Vision

Tonight at church was ... (I am trying to think of an adjective here to do it justice.) It was just so, so NEEDED. After a few weeks of carrying a heavy burden, I feel like it is being lifted from me. During worship I felt the Lord singing over me, reminding me, "Hey Steph, I got it. I've got this. I haven't changed. My nature is wholly and entirely GOOD. Circumstances change, but I do not."

In Exodus 3, Moses is confronted by a burning bush, and the Lord's tangible presence was before him. Moses asks a simple question, "When the Israelites ask me who sent me, what do I tell them?" Basically he was asking, who ARE you? God simply replied, "I am who I am." The Hebrew name is Yahweh, a name for the convenant the Lord makes with his people.

It's so easy to manipulate our circumstances or control situations so we get the outcome we are hoping for. Angst and anxiety ensue when things aren't going our way. What I am constantly learning is God's goodness regardless of circumstance. It's so freeing to open my hands on situations and let him take ownership. It's all his anyway. The lyrics of this old Irish hymn spoke to me tonight. Be blessed by their words:

BE THOU MY VISION
Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart
Naught be all else to me save that thou art
Thou my best thought by day or by night
Waking or sleeping thy presence my light.
Be thou my wisdom, thou my true word
I ever with thee, thou with me, Lord
Thou my great father, I thy true son
Thou in me dwelling, and I with thee one.

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise
Thou my inheritance now and always

Thou and Thou only, first in my heart
High King of Heaven, my treasure thou art.

High King of Heaven, after victory won
May I reach heaven's joys, O bright heaven's sun
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall
Still be my vision, O ruler of all.

No comments: