Friday, January 4, 2008

Contentment

In Proverbs:
"Two things i ask of you; deny them not to me before i die: remove far from me falsehood and lying; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me, lest i be full and deny you and say, "who is the Lord?" or lest i be poor and steal and profane the name of my God."

Neither poverty nor riches.

Sometimes I think the downfall in America is that we're too well-fed, too warm at night and too "secure" to really reach, grasp, struggle for and desire a real relationship with Jesus Christ. I didn't come up with this on my own, I stole the idea from Jon Randles, who spoke at my work today during chapel. But regardless ... I believe it.

We're too secure and comfortable to really have to pray big. To have any expectations of the Lord, or have any real needs to be met by him. We don't NEED him desperately because we're so secure.

I don't want to fall in that gap, and worship a shadow of living God instead of falling on my face before his true image.

Yes, a big flat screen tv and a real Dolce purse would be nice, but I'll take my regular tv and fake NYC bootleg Dolce instead.

No silver platters.

You may think I'm crazy.

1 comment:

rob. said...

i LOVE that verse. i found it a couple of months ago and think that it holds so much wisdom! i love your thoughts, lady. let's hang out again soon!